The first internal build is nearly done; too pity I cannot show it to common users (a developers’ secret, heh), but at least I am not prohibited to speak a little about what I have already achieved.
As I already mentioned earlier , monster AI is of high importance for our new game. At current point I will state following:
- Pathfinding works almost perfect; yet it has limitations, but they could be changed in future. If nodes are placed wisely on map, monster may find its target most of the times (if there IS a possible way). As for game speed, it does not seem to become noticably lower because of path calculations.
- Monsters now have Team attribute. Those of same team treat themseves as allies, those who are from different teams think they are enemies and act correspondingly. Teams could be changed.
- Monsters now have ‘threat reaction’ parameter, that determines their eagerness to notice and attack enemies. It varies from complete abstraction to high-alertness (this is needed primarily for scripting tasks, so that – for example – a soldier, ordered to patrol and defend some area, would not run for anyone in sight, unless enemy is too close).
- Monsters now can perform simple tasks; here’s full list:
- cancel all orders
- cancel current order
- stand still
- walk to (a point on map)
- walk along a path (a sequence of nodes)
- patrol between 2 points
- patrol along a path (either looped or bi-directed)
- evade a point (run from it)
- evade a thing
- follow a thing
- attack a thing
- attack everyone endlessly (berserc mode 😉 ) – this one was added just for fun.
- All of those orders could be issued using common Hexen map script, as well as Team and Threat Reaction could be changed.