While migrating content from the half dozen old web applications we had over the years and checking offline backups, I stumbled upon the original Korax Arena concept from 2003. Now for the first time, it’s available to the public on this page.
I’ve just finished uploading the korax arena (development) source code, this is an updated version of the source code similar to that of Korax RPG, which has been customized to update both the source code and resources to the latest version available on the SVN repository, which will allow anyone to play with the latest version of the development.
You can download it from our SF.net page, here’s the link to it: https://sourceforge.net/projects/korax/files/Korax%20Arena/Korax%20Arena%20%28Dev%29/
I’ve added the instructions to the ZIP file, but you can also read them directly from the download location, let me know if anyone has any problems building it, I’ve thoroughly tested it before uploading, but there could be problems, enjoy!
We are looking for a modeler/skinner (or several) who can help us with any of the following:
- Fixing skins on existing 3D models that have small flaws
- Creating slightly different skins for existing 3D models (so that e.g. not every tree looks the same)
- Slightly modify existing models
- Creating some all-new models incl. skins
If you are interested, reply in the comments or send me a PM.
Hi there! It’s been a long time since we have posted a blog entry, so I decided I would give you a small progress update of our work on the project.
I’ve been busy working on the conversion of our sprite sheets to normal sprites usable for various objects in-game, like enemies, player weapons, decorations, etc. It’s been a bit slow and tedious work, but it will give us a huge boost on the work we’ll be able to do code wise, it will allow us to implement new enemies using DECORATE and VavoomC to provide interesting new attacks for enemies and nice looking new weapons for all the player classes in our RPG project. The latest additions for DECORATE in Vavoom will make it easier to work with adding new weapons and for fixing the existing ones.
It might take another month (or longer) to convert the spritesheets to normal enemies, I hope to make it faster… I’m looking for a way to automatize part of the task to make it faster. Unfortunately I’m having some hardware issues on my end and I’m unable to work on this as I would like 🙁 .
Ramborc and Sahadia have been busy working on the story and locations for the RPG, the progress has been good on this part too and we already have planned most of the locations the players will visit throughout the game. Ramborc has also been importing new textures for giving life to these locations and make them look good in-game.
Crimson Wizard has been working on additions for AI for both Korax Arena’s bots and enemies in our RPG MOD, which will enhance the game in the RPG MOD and allow us to implement further gameplay modes on KA.
This is the work we are doing as of now, as
It’s finally here, a BETA version of Korax Arena 1.1, this release brings many improvements over the past version, it fixes many bugs and adds great stuff for gameplay, here are the main fixes for this version.
CHANGES IN 1.1 BETA
– Many, many fixes to bots AI, bots will now react differently depending certain conditions in battles.
– Fixed many crashes in CTF and KTH gameplay modes.
– Many internal data structures changed to improve speed of the game.
– Rebalanced weapon damage rates, there should not be any “tank” weapons anymore ;).
– Fixed crashes with tracer projectiles in team gameplay modes.
– Fixed some friendly minotaur crashes in team gameplay modes.
– Fixed invulnerability powerups will now appear in-game.
– Fixed heretic actors dropping invisible items.
– Fixed super shotgun so that it changes to another weapon when out of ammo.
– Fixed bots choosing friendly minotaur as target in coop game.
– Fixed experience was given for any destructible object that the player smashes.
– Fixed setting of pitch angles for bots.
– Fixed that under certain circumstances float bobbing items could be spawned inside of 3d floors.
– Fixed armor pickups were gathered by player even if he had max armor value.
– Fixed not all items were properly destroyed on team selection screen.
– Bots won’t use alternate attacks if they don’t have enough ammo for them.
– Bots won’t use repulsion alternate attacks when using melee weapons.
– Made player get less experience on higher levels from killing both players and monsters.
– Some more maps are compatible with domination gameplay mode.
– Added Survival gameplay mode, it consists of players fighting against waves of monsters, each wave becomes more difficult as the game progresses, almost all maps can be used to play this game mode, be ready for some nice surprises! 👿
– Random powerup pickups.
– Random weapon pickups.
– Random fire weapon pickups.
– Spectators and fliying spectators at the beginning of certain game modes.
– Hero class now has more projectile weapons and is more balanced to be equally efficient as the original Hexen classes.
You can download this release here. We are releasing this so that you can help us test the new features and fixes, we are already working on a new map pack and some other nice surprises for a later patch.
The editing package will be updated ASAP, adding support for the latest changes in the game.
If you spot any bugs, please report them on the forums, so that they can be fixed in a later patch, thanks for your support and enjoy the release! 😀