This is the last beta before the final release, which is planned for the second half of next week. The following new additions need to be primarily tested for issues:
- The quest tracking system has been redesigned and now journal entries and NPC conversations can interact more closely with the quest progress and the game world. Especially in the case of more complicated quests, the quest journal entry now updates more frequenty, providing you with more information on where you are supposed to go and what you are supposed to do.
Every quest has been completely rewritten, so new bugs might have been introduced.
- Quest areas are now gated: Until you pick up a quest from the NPC, you are physically unable to access parts or all of a quest location.
- Weapon and spell journal entries will now offer a series of updated hints as you progress through the requisites, all the way up the point when you learn the spell or pick up the weapon.
- As the first dungeon to get the weapon for slot #3 (first ranged weapon for fighter and cleric) was still too difficult, this introductory quest now only needs the player to kill a half dozen ettins in the greatly extended cave of the starting forest map. Finishing this quest unlocks Darkbough, the previous starting dungeon.
- Order services once again changed, now they provide their benefit to any player class, but only once.
- Blacksmiths now have a limited supply of armor pieces or armor sets, depending on the shop. Once you deplete the supply, you can’t armor up further.
- Sounds have been added to NPC conversations, currently a smallish mix of generic male and female voices and three different sounds to signalize whether the player pays money to an NPC, sells an item to an NPC, or receives a large bag of gold as reward. There is also a new menu option to turn these conversation sounds on or off.
As a technical necessity for this new feature, menu sounds have been disabled. Let us know whether you prefer us to try and add menu sounds back in for the actual menus.
- New artifact added (time bomb).