The first internal build is nearly done; too pity I cannot show it to common users (a developers’ secret, heh), but at least I am not prohibited to speak a little about what I have already achieved.
As I already mentioned earlier , monster AI is of high importance for our new game. At current point I will state following:
- Pathfinding works almost perfect; yet it has limitations, but they could be changed in future. If nodes are placed wisely on map, monster may find its target most of the times (if there IS a possible way). As for game speed, it does not seem to become noticably lower because of path calculations.
- Monsters now have Team attribute. Those of same team treat themseves as allies, those who are from different teams think they are enemies and act correspondingly. Teams could be changed.
- Monsters now have ‘threat reaction’ parameter, that determines their eagerness to notice and attack enemies. It varies from complete abstraction to high-alertness (this is needed primarily for scripting tasks, so that – for example – a soldier, ordered to patrol and defend some area, would not run for anyone in sight, unless enemy is too close).
- Monsters now can perform simple tasks; here’s full list:
- cancel all orders
- cancel current order
- stand still
- walk to (a point on map)
- walk along a path (a sequence of nodes)
- patrol between 2 points
- patrol along a path (either looped or bi-directed)
- evade a point (run from it)
- evade a thing
- follow a thing
- attack a thing
- attack everyone endlessly (berserc mode 😉 ) – this one was added just for fun.
- All of those orders could be issued using common Hexen map script, as well as Team and Threat Reaction could be changed.
Crimson Wizard Says:
April 8th, 2008 at 3:00 pm
Huh, geocalc, this TC does not have a public release yet, so it cannot be played at the moment.
February 12th, 2008 at 2:59 am
well i don’t know how to play
maybe you can give on your site the minimal info to launch it
February 9th, 2008 at 8:59 am
well, you give the need to try it here !
i hope i will be able to play
Maximus the Mad Says:
December 26th, 2007 at 11:23 pm
I don’t know if we devoted fans of this brilliant game and even MORE brilliant mod will ever be able to thank you fiendish developers enough.
Monster AI is the lynchpin of any truly successful game. The harder it is to get the drop on the enemy, and the greater the zeal and intelligence with which they pursue the protagonist, the BETTER the overall gameplay.