This video shows off some of the architecture and technology in all-new or greatly enhanced maps coming in the next release. Manipulate gears to raise a portcullis, smash through weakened metal bars or transparent windows, explore the insides of a gigantic statue and more! Available now on YouTube.
One of the weaknesses of Scattered Evil has been its reliance on old third party maps for most of its dungeon locations. The goal is to replace them with all-new architecture, designed with Vavoom’s 3D capabilities in mind.
My current focus is on Hedyntin Citadel. Below a few screenshots that don’t really do the place right. I’ll post a short video towards the weekend, showing off live how you manipulate gears and pulleys to raise the portcullis or smash through some bars with such force that they bend and break.
While Firebrand is looking into the reported bugs, I’ve spent some time on the dungeon maps in the Eastern desert hub. Depending on when 1.3 comes out, it’ll include replacements for some or all of the current maps in that corner of the world. And yes, you can get inside the Sphinx – those eye slits are actually windows.
This year’s SE trailer is now available on YouTube in Full HD.
New features and bugfixes:
- Visual changes:
- Further tweaks to the updated OpenGL rendering engine, improving visual quality of transparent or partially transparent textures.
- NPC AI optimizations to increase frame rates in areas with lots of NPCs.
- Monsters and NPCs now have body types: regular, tall and gaunt, short and stocky. In combination with our pre-existing sprite height randomization technology, you should rarely meet a friend or foe that looks exactly the same as someone else next to him/her.
- Audio changes:
- Replaced the previous sound engine with OpenAL.
- Replaced MIDI music with MP3. This also allowed us to mix sound scenery right into the music track, from the chirping of crickets in the night and the waves breaking on the seashore to the creepy sounds of a dark cave or the ambience of a busy inn.
- Dozens of new music tracks added. Now every single map has its own dedicated music.
- Miscellaneous changes:
- All class trainers now have their own custom portrait.
- Bugfixes and some difficulty tuning in a number of dungeon maps.
- Slight architectural changes to The Frozen Court and Gonos Warehouse (it now includes the areas that were previously part of Gonos Hideout).
- Notable architectural changes in the three largest cities (Thystes, Ocadia, Sichabroner).
- Further improvements to some models as well as corrections to the placement of many wall-mounted models.